distro package wishlist

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Nov 18 07:13:21 CET 2008

Christopher Hall wrote:
> I have just looked through it and found many files are missing.
> It seems that opkg does not run the postinst script for any of the packages.
> Something to do with the opkg -offline option.

Yes, because we can't run ARM binaries on the host. (*)

If you look at the end of
http://svn.openmoko.org/developers/werner/myroot/myroot
I have a very crude hack for this: most of the postinstall scripts
only need update-alternatives, so I run them with the path set to
a directory that contains nothing but an update-alternatives script.

(*) It would be nice if there was a way to change this. Something
    like a fusion between QEmu (for the ARM instruction set) and
    UML (for accessing the host's file system).

    I know there are some sandboxes for cross-development that do
    this kind of things, but I'm not sure how easy it is to set
    them up on the host.

- Werner