Xglamo moving to Xorg architecture (was: The forbidden topic: Glamo OpenGL)

Jacob Peterson jacobp at iastate.edu
Wed Nov 19 21:02:13 CET 2008

Lets see if this makes the list this time.

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Graeme Gregory <graeme at openmoko.org>wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 18:30 +0800, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> > Jacob,
> > I think Graeme is working on X, please coordinate with him.
> > Graeme, how are things going? Is some of your stuff in the testing
> > image already?
>
> I think if this discussion is moving to actual code and development we
> should shift onto the devel@ list. So much noise in community list its
> hard to keep track.
>
> Currently Xorg 7.4 is in OE and with a small modification to
> om-gta02.conf can be used as the default xserver.
>
> -XSERVER = "xserver-kdrive-glamo xserver-kdrive-fbdev"
> +XSERVER = "xserver-xorg \
> +           xf86-video-fbdev \
> +           xf86-input-tslib \
> +           xf86-input-keyboard"
>
> One regression with this is fbdev driver in Xorg doesnt support RandR so
> I wanted to get that into the new glamo driver as the first operation
> before acceleration as a lot of people like RandR support.
>
> The tslib driver I did some fixes on so that it no longer required the
> xorg.conf to define the screen size.
>
> Then I want to split the glamo acceleration stuff into sensible sized
> chunks for importing into Xorg driver.
>
> Graeme

Now seems like a good time to move this here, thanks Graeme.  Hopefully some
of the other developers will join in.

I will grab a copy of the current code in a few minutes and start
familiarizing my self with it.

Do you have any plans yet on how you want to approach breaking up the
existing acceleration code once RandR is going?

I think for the sake of documentation it would be good to try throughly
commenting the acceleration parts of the code with doxygen comments, so then
part of the work of getting specifications for the Glamo out in the public
domain is already done.