Calypso firmware updater infrastructure (and myroot update)
werner at openmoko.org
Thu Nov 20 10:51:51 CET 2008
Andy Green wrote:
> Have you considered working with Christopher Hall's test rootfs script?
Yes, of course.
> What's actually missing from Chris' script that you need?
There are mainly three differences:
- we're at different stages of development - I'm already using mine
to produce all kinds of fully-featured systems (i.e., the ones I
use daily for development).
- I take a more additive than subtractive approach
- Christopher's opkg-target wrapper is a lot cleaner than mine
What things like Christopher's system or myroot really are is an
environment to run opkg-target, a way for the user to specify what's
needed (usually in the form of a script), plus all the glue bits
that make the system run.
So I consider the goals of myroot three-fold at the moment:
1) give me a rootfs that helps me with development instead of getting
in the way
2) provide a foundation for the Calypso firmware updater (and I may
spin off other similar images, e.g., for WLAN)
3) do the trailblazing for the underpinings of a long-lived solution.
I.e., the packages from my feed wishlist, the opkg cache, and
perhaps some of my scripts will also be useful for Christopher.
So I expect both systems to converge and perhaps to merge completely.
By the way, in case this sounds like some monstrous system - it isn't.
The core (myroot), my customized configuration, plus all the image
builder scripts together are less than 700 lines, less than 400 without
blanks and comments :-)
More information about the devel