Volume controls

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sat Nov 22 16:08:31 CET 2008

Am Sa  22. November 2008 schrieb Al Johnson:
> On Saturday 22 November 2008, Tick Chen wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >   I created a patch that makes user can control their call volume via a
> > slidebar when calling.
> > It's uses AT+CLVL controling the call volume.  According to
> > http://doc.trolltech.com/qtextended4.4/qphoneprofile.html#setVolume
> > the valid range is 0~5, and the volume degree maping to TI Calypso volume
> > range 0~255 equally.
>
> As if 3 volume controls in the audio path weren't enough ;-)
For microphone sensitivity (leave alone mux settings for making mic function
at all). Plus another 2 for (handset)speaker-level, plus some different ones
for headset/handsfree-speaker-level (again plus lots of controls for muxes
etc)

> > By current the volume default is 3 of 0~5, and TI calypso default is 177
of
> > 0~255. It will be switched and  follow the setting in QPhoneProfile. ie
> > AT+CLVL=153. I tested and found it's okay for me. The volume is loud
> > enough for me, and people on the other side of call does not complains at
> > all. :-) Maybe other device need to switch to a larger value.
> >
> > Users can control the default volume by using QPhoneProfile, and
> > PhoneSettings. Or edit /opt/Qtopia/etc/default/Trolltech/PhoneProfile.conf
> > directly.
> >
> > If there are no other issues, I will commit it tomorrow.

I wonder whether these "defaults" always apply, or maybe we see
arbitrary/sticky settings for these, which would explain the constantly
changing suggestions for best alsa.state settings, to cope with inadvertently
changing sensitivity/level of calypso.

We will have a look at this for moko11-fw, to have decent setup of calypso by
default.

cheers
jOERG