[FSO] DBus, MCC and MNC

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Tue Nov 25 19:09:41 CET 2008

cc'ed smartphones-standards.

Am Tuesday 25 November 2008 17:58:16 schrieb Ronan Daniellou:
> I am working on a logger using GSM and GPS. I need the MCC[1] and
> MNC[2]. AFAIK the only place where to get these data is in the result of
> (description taken from the freesmartphone.org page):
> org.freesmartphone.GSM.Network
> ListProviders ( ) -> a(isss)
> An array of four-tuples with the following structure:
>     * Unique numerical operator code,
>     * Status ("unknown", "available", "current", "forbidden"),
> [snip]
> The numerical operator code is in fact the concatenation of the two MCC
> and MNC.
> When I get a signal about GSM registration changing, I see if I am
> 'home' or roaming. So once I know the values for 'home', I don't need to
> check again MCC and MNC. But when I am roaming, these values could any
> time change. My problem is that using ListProviders needs at least 20
> seconds (it returns 3 networks in my case). Which is too long for me in
> my logger loop.
> Thus I was wondering if there is another place where is located the
> current MCC and MNC?

I see your point and I have fixed it for you (luckily I could do that without
changing the API, otherwise I would have hesitated) with

I have adjusted the API docs with

You will now get an additional property called 'code' in GetStatus() (likewise
the Status() signal) which contains the concatenated MCC and MNC.

Hope that helps!