Thomas White taw27 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 18:37:54 CET 2008

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:39:33 +0100
"Andreas Pokorny" <andreas.pokorny at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does Mesa already provide an OpenGL|ES API? Is Mesa a good starting
> point at all?

Since OpenGL ES is a subset of full OpenGL, I don't think it actually
makes that much difference.  I haven't had much luck at all looking for
hardware accelerated implementations of "strict ES" apart from
proprietary drivers.  Or, for that matter, in finding information about
whether using Mesa for ES is "sensible" from its point of view.  Does
anyone know more about this?

I did find this, however, which is relevant:
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-September/010509.html

My opinion from the information I have at the moment is that it'd be
best to use Mesa, even if it isn't meant to be used just for ES. The
we could just "forget" to handle anything which Glamo won't do - either
fall back onto software rendering or abort with an error.  The end
result would be the same - as if we'd written our own implementation of
the ES API from scratch - and we get the benefit of Mesa, DRI and
several other drivers to examine for reference.

Tom