Edje

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sun Nov 30 07:12:31 CET 2008

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 08:44:26 +1100, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<raster at rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 15:23:08 -0500 Joel Newkirk <freerunner at newkirk.us>
> babbled:
>
>> I've got a question about Edje files.  I'm using SHR at the moment but
> that
>> shouldn't have any direct bearing on the question or possible answers.
>>
>> using the Illume spanner to open the Config pages, I can change the
>> background.  When doing so it creates ~/.e/e/backgrounds/{papername}.edj
>> which defines part "bg" in group "e/desktop/background".  And it seems
>> store the choice of said background in ~/.e/e/{themename}/e.cfg.
>>
>> Is there any way from another edje-enabled app (IE dialer) to retrieve
> this
>> config setting and apply the same background to that app?  Preferably
> from
>> within the edc itself?
>
> no. e's background is e's background. all you are doing is
> pseudo-transparency
> hacking and i have to say that it's very inefficient and ugly. you are
> just
> trying to mimic real compositing. :)

Oh, well.  Thanks.  What I'm actually trying to do is cheat and allow phone
apps to use the same tileable texturemap background as I choose for the
'desktop' without having to recompile their edj files each time I change
backgrounds.  I'm not looking for a 'translucent dialer app' effect but
more of a 'if the desktop is red then the phone apps are red'.   (but now
that I think on it, glass dialer buttons floating over a focus-blurred
desktop would look pretty cool;)