Edje

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sun Nov 30 09:21:41 CET 2008

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 01:12:31 -0500 Joel Newkirk <freerunner at newkirk.us> babbled:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 08:44:26 +1100, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> <raster at rasterman.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 15:23:08 -0500 Joel Newkirk <freerunner at newkirk.us>
> > babbled:
> >
> >> I've got a question about Edje files.  I'm using SHR at the moment but
> > that
> >> shouldn't have any direct bearing on the question or possible answers.
> >>
> >> using the Illume spanner to open the Config pages, I can change the
> >> background.  When doing so it creates ~/.e/e/backgrounds/{papername}.edj
> >> which defines part "bg" in group "e/desktop/background".  And it seems
> >> store the choice of said background in ~/.e/e/{themename}/e.cfg.
> >>
> >> Is there any way from another edje-enabled app (IE dialer) to retrieve
> > this
> >> config setting and apply the same background to that app?  Preferably
> > from
> >> within the edc itself?
> >
> > no. e's background is e's background. all you are doing is
> > pseudo-transparency
> > hacking and i have to say that it's very inefficient and ugly. you are
> > just
> > trying to mimic real compositing. :)
> >

> Oh, well.  Thanks.  What I'm actually trying to do is cheat and allow phone
> apps to use the same tileable texturemap background as I choose for the
> 'desktop' without having to recompile their edj files each time I change
> backgrounds.  I'm not looking for a 'translucent dialer app' effect but
> more of a 'if the desktop is red then the phone apps are red'.   (but now
> that I think on it, glass dialer buttons floating over a focus-blurred
> desktop would look pretty cool;)

generally speaking - i'd stay clear of this. why? for a simple case where the
user cannot change a background and you specifically design things so
background is not able to interfere with anything on to for reading/viewing...
but once the user changes this to a picture of their girlfriend or some other
image where some bits are black.. and then you have black on black text for
example for a label... you are in trouble. generally speaking it's still better
to just keep the images in the theme matching with the overall colors and look
of the theme so it's usable. only in very specific places would i allow users
to change the background - and in this case i'd specifically make sure that
anything on top is done in a way that it will be readable or at least viewable
on any background (maybe not perfectly - but usably).

:) (those pesky users and their unpredictable ways! :))

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com