Openmoko Bug #2030: Cannot connect to WEP network

Angus Ainslie angus.ainslie at
Tue Oct 7 18:51:54 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Werner Almesberger <werner at>wrote:

> It works perfectly, but it doesn't do what you might expect:
> most access points use a hash algorithm to turn that text string
> into the hex numbers we all love. Unfortunately, iwconfig just
> uses the string "as is".

Of course that's the way it works if your AP is set to use passphrase mode.
If your AP is set to use an ascii key ( and you use the correct length ) it
should all work .

I guess we have different expectations of our APs :)