Openmoko Bug #2030: Cannot connect to WEP network

Michael Shiloh michael at
Tue Oct 7 21:11:28 CEST 2008

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> The canonical way of running iwconfig for WEP would be something like
> this:
> # iwconfig eth0 key A4BEB3B8EC essid xyz
> Two things are important here:
> - the key must be in hex. iwconfig will not do anything useful if
>   the key is given as a string.

A handy ascii string to hex converter is here:

Although it annoyingly prints %20 instead of a space. I'm sure better
examples can be found on the web and anyone can write their own in any
language of their choice.