Moving Unstable to OE

Holger Freyther zecke at openmoko.org
Wed Oct 8 03:29:30 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 07 October 2008 23:00:55 Harald Welte wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 02:10:59PM +0100, Graeme Gregory wrote:
> > 1) Mainline bitbake does not have the git SRCREV handling required for
> > OM builds.
>
> I think we (notably: Henryk Ploetz and myself, IIRC) developed a first hack
> for this, which henryk then re-implemented against the (then) 1.8
> development branch of bitbake based on RP's requests.  I always thought it
> was merged back at that time.  Why was it not?

It was mostly merged back. For git they settled starting with the id of '1'
and every time the rev changes increment it by one. This has some upsides
(like not needing a local repository) but downsides as the id is not global.
With using git-rev-list (henryk's idea) one needs a repository at parse time,
one gets a global id, but to have upgradable packages the branch one tracks
should not use rebase.

There were already some discussions on this topic in this year and I need to
get around to implement werner's idea...

z.