Debugging WiFi problems

Phil phil at
Tue Oct 14 16:54:59 CEST 2008

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Phil wrote:
>> What can I do to debug the problem?
> Maybe let's start with a few more details:
> - do you use encryption and if yes, what kind ?

with a ssid and psk

> - what AP brand/model is this ?

Linksys WRT54G

> - is there anything in dmesg ?

> - does your machine suspend during the test ?

No - I can still run "ifdown/ifup eth0", /etc/init.d/networking
stop/start etc

> When looking into WLAN problems, one of the first things I usually do
> is to try to see if it's something that comes from the lower reaches
> of the system (kernel, firmware, system tools, etc.), or higher layers
> which are still very much in flux (middleware and GUI).
> To determine this, I kill pretty much all processes but udevd and
> dropbear, so that I can be sure user space won't reconfigure things
> behind my back, suspend, or such.

"All processes"? - do you do this from a ssh login? I presume I could
start from the highest numbered processes and work down?

> Then I set up the network manually and see if the problem still exists.
> So if you could do this and report your findings, that would be great.

OK, I'll try that approach and see what happens.

Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW	2001
E-mail:  phil at