Weekly Engineering News 41/2008

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at openmoko.com
Wed Oct 15 13:13:55 CEST 2008

Hi everybody,
back to the basics!

That's the main news from Taipei last week. We decided to focus our
engineering on just the basics, even less eye candy: Robust kernel,
fast boot time, basic telephony with great audio quality, powerful
configuration from the command line, hardware quality. That's it.
We will stop working on our Installer, Locations, Diversity and
Settings applications. We will get back to all this when the rest is
rock solid, but now is not the time. Feel free to pickup any of these
projects in the meantime, it's a great way to get affiliated with
Openmoko as we will surely get back to them later - hardware features
of GTA03 remain as currently planned.
To support the new strategy, we have made some organizational changes.
The way we are funding freesmartphone.org and Mickey's framework team
has been changed (http://www.vanille-media.de/site/index.php/2008/10/14/ci61-0650-fra/
), John Lee will form a group of Taiwanese software engineers whose
focus will be on optimizing various parts of the software stack. We
are working on a new way to empower Andy and have him build and lead a
kernel team.

Some lighter news from the office: Sean found an article about Pixar's
"Collective Creativity" and we are now creatively interpreting the
article for our Taipei office life :-)
See the article: http://harvardbusinessonline.hbsp.harvard.edu/hbsp/hbr/articles/article.jsp?articleID=R0809D&ml_action=get-article&print=true
Somewhere it mentions "inadvertent encounters", so we randomly
shuffled everyone's seats! A lot of fun! There are indeed lots of new
inadvertent encounters in the office now, as everybody is scrambling
to find their colleagues...

The head of our testing team, Regina Kim, moved to Australia and will
continue to work from there.
We hired a new IT person, Ray Chao, to work full-time in Taipei. He
will co-work with roh + gismo in Berlin. One of his first big tasks
will be to take over responsibility to keep our automated daily builds
running.
We hired Christopher Hall, a very experienced engineer who will start
in production testing software and may later help us a lot on bigger
tasks.

More next week, everybody here stays focused on GTA02 bug fixing and
GTA03 development...
Best Regards,
Wolfgang & Marek