Debugging WiFi problems

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Oct 15 18:49:10 CEST 2008

Phil wrote:
> Linksys WRT54G

Excellent ! I have one too, so I should be able to reproduce your
setup. Which firmware/version do you use ?

>> - is there anything in dmesg ?
>

> Attached.

Thanks ! nothing overly suspicious there, but I guess the reconnect
is where it happens. Might be interesting to see if we always lose
connectivity for good if we briefly disconnect.

I'll try some experiments later.

> "All processes"? - do you do this from a ssh login? I presume I could
> start from the highest numbered processes and work down?

I just kill everything that doesn't look essential. E.g., on my usual
test machine I have right now only init, udevd, portmap (should get
rid of that one as well), dropbear, sh, getty, and anything I've
started manually.

BTW, on this machine, I just cleaned out the rc directories, so I
don't really go on a killing spree on each reboot, but the principle
is the same.

> OK, I'll try that approach and see what happens.

Thanks !

- Werner