ARMv4 vs ARMv6

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Thu Oct 16 11:06:51 CEST 2008

Op 16 okt 2008, om 10:59 heeft Andy Green het volgende geschreven:

> is a
> |>
> |> Mmm Graeme already noted it.

> acceleration
> |>
> |> If the packaging tools just can't deal with it,
> |
> | This is exactly what openembedded has been designed to do and what
> | Angstrom (the distribution openmoko uses) has been doing for
> years. Have
> | a look at http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?
> pkgname=fennec and
> | you'll see that packages are available for ARM architectures ranging
> | from strongarm to the latest cortex-a8.
>
> Great, but this situation reminds me a lot of i386 and x86_64, there
> is
> also the aspect that x86_64 / ARMv6 can run v6 and v4 packages, but
> i386
> / ARMv4 can't run v6 packages.  It took quite a while for that to
> settle
> down in the packaging tools and the distros.

That's because both rpm and deb have no real notion of architecture
differences. OpenEmbedded handles everything for you at build- and
packagingtime, opkg keeps people from installing armv6 package on an
armv4t machine. Installing v4t packages on a v6 machine is safe
(thanks to EABI) and works.

> If someone is making OpenMooCow 2.0 and they have a GTA02 and GTA02-
> only
> toolchain, it would be good if GTA03 folks are able to install it OK.
> Or, we should send out a single toolchain+(2 x libs) that is v4 and v6
> ready, and make it easy for the MooCow guy to generate v4 and v6
> binary.
> ~ Or, we should have the toolchain issue source packages, which Moocow
> guy will offer with his v4 binary, and make it easy for anyone to
> recook
> a source package built on v4 toolchain+libs against v6 toolchain+libs.

Or just use OE?