Weekly Engineering News 41/2008

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Thu Oct 16 11:15:42 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 07:13:55PM +0800, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:

> back to the basics!

Dear Wolfgang,
from my perspective, this is the best news that I've heard of Openmoko in a
long time!  (This is not meant cynical in any way, it's just literally
the truth).

> That's the main news from Taipei last week. We decided to focus our
> engineering on just the basics, even less eye candy: Robust kernel,
> fast boot time, basic telephony with great audio quality, powerful
> configuration from the command line, hardware quality. That's it.

Great.  This really reflects the criticisim of many voices that I've heard
over the last months.

> John Lee will form a group of Taiwanese software engineers whose
> focus will be on optimizing various parts of the software stack.

Congratulations to John.  I'm sure he will enjoy his new role.

Cheers,