Playing with touch screen events

Tick Chen tick at openmoko.com
Mon Oct 20 12:00:36 CEST 2008

Hi List,
  In order to make users to have a better experence of using touchscreen,
I wrote a small application to observe the touch screen events.
http://svn.openmoko.org/developers/tick/touchtest/touch_test.py
And found some very interesting phenomenons.
1. If the touch pressure is very light, the status of mouse will
becomes very unstable. Mistake move events as up and down events.
It may need a better threshold.
2. It's very hard to touch the margin of Neo touch screen with fingers.
(Therefore UI design have to be careful about that.)
3. When we touch a button with figer, the actual position we touched may
have a offset to that we expected. (That means buttons should be very
large.)
4. start/stop scrolling may encounter unstable evnets.  (I think it's
because of the change of largest pressure position.) That means if we
want to have  a good kinetic scroll view, widget library may need to
discard the first/last few events.

I had record about the phenomenons 1, 2 on youtube.
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXaSvvp4h8
Sorry for my bad english, I am improving it. ;)

Cheers,
Tick