Android openness, was Re: Android codebase - Patch set #1

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Thu Oct 23 22:33:35 CEST 2008

Sorry for the additional post, but I wanted to clarify:

Jason wrote:
> Sean McNeil wrote:
> [...]
>
>> flamma at correo.ugr.es wrote:
>>
>>> Excuse me if I'm going a little out of topic, but, will some polemic
>>> features like [1] and [2] be removed, so the platform is a bit "more
>>> free"?
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://alsutton.wordpress.com/2008/10/22/android-the-not-so-open-open-platform/
>>>

>> This is related to phones from companies that need or want to control
>> access to their hardware. Google has nothing to do with this except to
>> provide for security through certificates. This is a good idea and I
>> think OM will have one, but it doesn't mean there will be anything
>> closed source on the OM phones. It will remain open.
>>

> We have different definitions of open, then.  ;-)  By yours, Tivo is
> open because it uses linux.  By my definition, open means you can change
> the device to your liking.  My main concern is this article:

I think our definitions are pretty much the same. I am saying Android is
open just like Linux. I'm saying that just because Tivo uses Linux
doesn't mean it has to be completely open. Neither does anyone using
Android have to have their phone open.

Google chose a more business friendly model, however, in that they use
the Apache license which is a lot like BSD. If I make a product, I don't
have to provide you with all the sources or changes I make to have
Android run on that product (unlike what GPL is attempting to do).

Regardless, OM will always make their code freely available and let you
put whatever software you like on their phone. This is the OM way.