status report on boot time

Chia-I Wu olv at
Fri Oct 24 13:37:53 CEST 2008

Hi list,

I am working on the boot time this week, and current status is

I am able to boot into the main screen (illume) in ~60 seconds since
power on.  It takes another ~35 seconds before dialer can be launched.

In this phase, I only touch initscripts.  The biggest save (about 30s,
IIRC) is to use statically created /dev, instead of waiting for udev.
The current goal is to make boot fast.  So scripts (exquisite, portmap,
connman, bluetooth etc.) not necessary for booting are simply removed.
I want to see how fast Neo could boot, then add flexibilities to it.
And apparently, the changes will make the scripts only usable on GTA02
(and GTA01 later).

I will polish the current work and public the git repo next week.  I am
not trying to work in a closed way, but the new set of initscripts are
too ugly to have much meaning atm :)