Weekly Engineering News 36/2008

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Wed Sep 10 21:07:37 CEST 2008

Sören Apel wrote:
> Hello Wolfgang,
>
> Thanks for keeping us informed - it's greatly appreciated.
>
>> Staying with Samsung allows us to reuse more of our current Linux
>> driver work, for example the PMU (NXP 50633) can stay the same.
>
> Having read
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/hardware/2008-August/000378.html
> and
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/hardware/2008-August/000384.html
> makes me think that keeping the 50633 around just to re-use code may not
> be the best of ideas, especially if a smart PMU can also fulfill simple
> tasks that otherwise would require the SoC to wake up.
>
> Just my two cents :)
>
> Regards,
>  -Soeren

I'll second that sentiment.  Frankly, my impression of the 50633 and
Linux is that while the chip might be excellent hardware-wise, it has a
serious "impedance mismatch" when it comes to interfacing with the Linux
kernel.

Throw it away; it's the biggest single problem in the GTA02 that still
remains; a problem that is seemly impossible to work around in software.

Mike (mwester)