Weekly Engineering News 37/2008

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Wed Sep 17 21:06:36 CEST 2008

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 18.09.2008, 01:07 +0800 schrieb Wolfgang Spraul:
> So the question was - do Openmoko's phones have to meet an _absolute_
> freedom level, defined somewhere, or do they just have to be the _most
> free_ phones available at the time?
> First we came up with a list of freedom preferences (thanks to
> Werner :-)):

from the Debian POV I can add that we do not ship binary blobs in
Debian. So, if the devices needs them to be loaded at runtime, it can
not be used with a “pure” Debian system. If redistribution (and
re-packaging!) is possible, the driver can be shipped as part of the
non-free repository, though.

So for Debian, freedom level 1 or 2 would be ideal.

Greetings,
Joachim

PS: This is not my personal opinion, which I haven’t made up
entirely :-)

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer