Processing status update

John Lee john_lee at openmoko.com
Fri Sep 19 16:22:15 CEST 2008

I just dug out this mail today...

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 02:20:29PM +0200, Sebastian Mancke wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I'm not sure, If you saw my comment on Michaels blog-post, so:
> http://gettingstartedopenmoko.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/processing-on-openmoko/
>
> Your DBus startup Server looks nice. We are also interested to have a
> general solution for this (not only focussing on processing apps).
>
> - Do you already have an idea, on how (when) to free resources (objects
> and class meta data) allocated by single processing applets?

I tried to call system gc every time the app unloaded, but the jvm
will not react immediately.  It will keep growing for several times
then do gc.

> - Do you have an Idea on how to start up the java 'sever' process only
> on demand (when the first application should be executed) and shut down
> the sever after an idle time?

Yes you can set up the dbus to automatically execute a daemon to
provide a dbus service upon requested.  No idea about the automatic
shutdown but I think maybe the daemon can shutdown itself.

Regards,
John