Problem with webcam connected to openmoko

Walter Christie wheeltracks1932 at
Wed Apr 15 01:18:59 CEST 2009

But that's just it - I don't know where these drivers are, so i'm not sure how to load them...

will try to make the device node manually and see if that works. But
without creating the driver I'm not sure how this is possible.

--- On Tue, 4/14/09, Joel Newkirk <freerunner at> wrote:
From: Joel Newkirk <freerunner at>
Subject: Re: Problem with webcam connected to openmoko
To: wheeltracks1932 at
Cc: devel at
Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 7:04 PM

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:43:10 -0700 (PDT)
Walter Christie <wheeltracks1932 at> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm using my FreeRunner with Debian, running the 2.6.28 kernel.
> trying to get my QuickCam 5000 running, and can't seem to
> generate /dev/video0. The webcam is connected to the Neo through a
> powered hub. Are the v4l2 drivers already buil-in
> The Neo is set as a USB host, and it actually works with a USB
> keyboard connected through the hub. "lsusb/" shows the right
> ID, and so forth for the webcam. I've got all the relevant packages
> installed correctly... fswebcam says that there's no /dev/video0,
> v4l-conf says the same thing. There's nothing in /dev that looks
> relevant.
> What else could I do to get the webcam to work?

It's been there for a while, I'm not sure if there's a more recent
solution documented somewhere. It presumes Debian, requires building a
few kernel modules for v4l and the UVC webcam driver. (the QuickCam5000
uses UVC) However, it refers to kernel 2.6.24, while 2.6.28 offers UVC
and SPCA webcam support in-tree, may find the relevant modules already
built and installable somewhere.

It also notes that the device node wasn't created automatically,
mkdir -p /dev/v4l
mknod /dev/v4l/video0 c 81 0