GPS NMEA sentences over serial port

Paul Fertser fercerpav at
Thu Aug 13 10:31:21 CEST 2009

RANJAN <infibit at> writes:
> What I am asking is, can I get the NMEA sentences from the GPS on FR
> via a USB to Serial converter connected to the FR's USB port and the
> other end to the laptop? (should I run a python code on FR to do
> this?)

Do you want to tell me that you want to implement this chain:

GPS <--UART--> SoC <--USB--> RS232-USB converter <--RS232--> laptop ?

I must admit you've got a reach and somewhat perverted imagination ;)

> Please tell me how to do this?

The answer is still the same: use ``socat'', it really rocks.

Be free, use free ( software!
mailto:fercerpav at