GPS NMEA sentences over serial port

RANJAN infibit at
Thu Aug 13 10:40:18 CEST 2009

Do you want to tell me that you want to implement this chain:
> GPS <--UART--> SoC <--USB--> RS232-USB converter <--RS232--> laptop ?

Well I am not an expert like you are ,I am just a beginner.The chain I think

GPS on FR (USB) <-> USB to serial converter <-> laptop (USB)

I was able to read the GPS sentences on my laptop when I had SSH access to
the FR using this tutorial:

Now all I want is the NMEA sentences streaming into the laptop from the FR
using a USB to serial Converter .

> > Please tell me how to do this?
> The answer is still the same: use ``socat'', it really rocks.

So I need to install "socat" on FR?