GPS NMEA sentences over serial port

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 11:35:11 CEST 2009

Please do not omit the list from Cc. And refrain from HTML mails...

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 02:44:50PM +0530, RANJAN wrote:
>   You want to connect the FR to laptop using a USB-serial converter,
>   ok. FR doesn't have a serial port so it implies you'll connect the
>   converter to FR via USB and to laptop via RS232 (because it's the only
>   common serial standard used on laptops except for USB but you imply
>   it's not usb, so it must be RS232). That's exactly the diagram i asked
>   you about and you said i misunderstood you...
>
> Yep,now since we have the hardware diagram right.So coming to software part doea
> FSOgpsd provide an NMEA output?I have used pyserial for serial communication
> (works great),so using pyserial ,I have not tried socat though.And I think I
> need to use two USB to serial converter (one for the laptop and one for the FR)
> and have the both the USB to serial converters paired up.

A real estate agent, looking over a farmer's house for possible sale,
commented to the farmer how sturdy the house looked.
        The farmer replied, "Yep, built it with my bare hands... did it
the hard way.  The steps to the front door, here, carved 'em out of
field stones... did it the hard way.  That hardwood floor in the living
room, dovetailed the pieces myself... did it the hard way.  The ceiling
beams, made 'em out of my own oak trees... did it the hard way."
        Just then, the farmer's gorgeous daughter walked in.  The farmer
looks over at the real estate agent who is trying not to stare too
obviously and smiles.  "Yep... standing up in a canoe."

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com