Xorg / Glamo ?

Angus Ainslie nytowl at openmoko.org
Tue Feb 3 21:46:59 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 15:10 -0500, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> Hi Harald,
>
> I don't mind updating the wiki where I see errors at all - as long as
> I'm not stepping on someone else's feet by doing so.

Please go ahead and update the pages they are suffering from bit
rot

> A couple of spots that I feel need some updating are:
>
> 1) http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenEmbedded
>
> ==> This page needs a bit of an overhaul, IMHO, and as this is a
> fairly important tag or buzz-word, where a lot of traffic is
> generated, people need to see the right instructions here to get
> moving - quickly. However, because OpenEmbedded and BitBake are so
> closely related, maybe it would be a good idea to redirect BitBake to
> OpenEmbedded, and to have a separate page for BitBake Recipes,
> documenting how to leverage OpenMoko / FSO's existing classes and
> recipes for compatibility. I don't have any experience with the
> application layer personally, so I would ask someone else to do the
> BitBake Recipes page.
>
> ==> If people should not be synchronizing with Git.OpenMoko.Org then
> maybe it's time to remove the reference on this page. If people are
> interested in page history, the wiki actually keeps previous versions,
> but I would suggest putting this reference into more of an 'Archives'
> page somewhere else.

Sure blow it away

> ==> @ Rod : What is the current status of MokoMakefile ?  Does it take
> into account the changes in the preferred repository? I really do
> think that MokoMakefile is an important part of the process. This is
> particularly true for application-level developers as opposed to
> system-level developers, so I would vote to keep this. I would suggest
> putting a reference to MokoMakefile right at the top of the
> OpenEmbedded page, to more or less incite developers to use
> MokoMakefile first before delving into OpenEmbedded.
>
> 2) http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/BitBake
>
> ==> This is the page that actually confused me at first.
>
> ==> Is it necessary to use OpenMoko's version of bitbake still ?

The upstream version should be used.

> ==> The section 'get openembedded tree' is wrong and needs to be
> updated - I beg the person responsible for this page to consider
> referring to a single, cenralized page like
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenEmbedded . It's not a good idea to
> have condradicting OpenEmbedded instructions on the same site.
>
> It's probably a good idea to have OpenEmbedded instructions that are
> aligned with MokoMakefile, so that directory structures and the like
> are similar - including naming of development overlays.

This is less necessary but if you think it will ease the transition go
ahead and structure it that way.

> If nobody disagrees with my suggestions, then I will go ahead and
> rewrite a portion of the Wiki ...

I agree with most of your conclusions so please go ahead. It will save
some of us ( probably me ) from having to do the edits.

Thanks
Angus