usbnet - MAC and sequential interfaces

Joel Newkirk freerunner at
Tue Feb 3 22:30:50 CET 2009

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:05:54 +0000, Robert Piasek
<robert.piasek at> wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 February 2009 00:11:05 Mike (mwester) wrote:
>> The
>> point, of course, being to make the network manager on the host side of
>> the USB connection happier...
> Well this can easily be sorted in userspace. I for one build g_ether as
> module
> and append host_addr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX to modules.conf which ensures I've
> identical MAC all the time. That keeps NM happy. Of course XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
> can
> be based on WLAN mac address as suggested.
> Rob

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! :)  Now if only the host would
recognize it as the same device every time. (particularly windows - linux
tends to just work despite treating it as new each time, while windows
wants to download drivers)

Joel Newkirk      (blog) (FR stuff)