usbnet - MAC and sequential interfaces

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Wed Feb 4 02:33:55 CET 2009

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:41:32 -0200, Werner Almesberger <werner at openmoko.org>
wrote:
> Joel Newkirk wrote:
>> Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! :)  Now if only the host would
>> recognize it as the same device every time. (particularly windows -
> linux
>> tends to just work despite treating it as new each time, while windows
>> wants to download drivers)
>
> Could the Windows-side problem be linked to dev_addr still being
> pseudo-random ?
>
> If you add a boot parameter to set it to a constant value as well,
> is Windows any happier ?
>
> - Werner

Yes, it might be.  I'd assumed it was the same factor that caused linux to
present the FR as a different (sequential) USB device each time it's
plugged in, even 5 secs apart (no reboot or anything so usb0 MAC is
unchanged) but it's entirely possible that Windows is keying off the MAC,
I've not jacked my FR into any winbox frequently enough to have grasped a
pattern.  Will be testing this over the next day or two though, both as-is
and with static dev_addr.

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)