Xorg / Glamo ?

Christopher Friedt chrisfriedt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 11:01:45 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:22 PM, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler
<raster at rasterman.com> wrote:
> agreed. i know i started with mokomakefile as simply doing it the "oe way" was
> much more work. if oe provided a simple shell/makefile setup (and update
> mechanism) it'd be good.

I think the root of the problem is just that it takes so long to 'ramp
up' as a new(ish) developer, specifically when the build doesn't build
'out of the box'. OE is a bag-of-hurt for me right now because the
build fails at shared-mime-info-native-0.51.bb

Personally, I don't actually want to build every package from scratch
to just get started, but at the moment, I have no other way to obtain
a development environment for working on xorg / glamo.

Coming from a long time of using Gentoo, the way that I would suggest
working around that, is to provide something like a stage3 tarball,
where almost everything, including X, is precompiled and ready to go.

Distribute it via bittorrent, and provide instructions to change the
OE_HOME variable in 'build/conf/local.conf' and 'setup-env'.

Voila!

So if anyone who has a working build feels like being heroic, please
feel free to make a tarball and seed it out on bittorrent :)