WLAN: known issues and how to help - uptime test

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Feb 5 20:13:24 CET 2009

Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Finally got back to this - the AP is a Linksys WRT546G - original
> firmware I think.  No encryption, just restricting access via MAC
> addressess.

Good. I have a bunch of these around as well. Which firmware version ?
It should say so in small print in the upper right corner of the Web
GUI.

> I have just done my WLAN uptime test on the latest FSO milestone (5) and
> the network stayed up for only about 4 hours (the record for an older
> version of SHR is about 14 hours).

Did you check dmesg whether the association was still there ? One
thing that could cause such troubles is DHCP trying to renew the
lease and something going wrong there.

One way to find out would be to run

iwconfig eth0
ifconfig eth0
route -n

while the connection is good, record the output, and run these
commands again after the connection has failed. Then post them
here for analysis :-) Including a dmesg output wouldn't hurt
either.

Thanks,
- Werner