WLAN: known issues and how to help - uptime test - more results

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Mon Feb 9 02:21:14 CET 2009

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> - the USB device is not visible it seems . .
> Aah, I just realized what's wrong. Your u-boot must still have the
> short kernel size setting. This prevents kernels build with
> "moredrivers" from booting.
> To fix this,
> - bring up the boot menu of NAND u-boot
> - switch the console to USB
> - enter the u-boot command line with
>   neocon /dev/ttyACM{0,1,2}
>   (or use the serial communication program of your choice)
> - enter the following two commands:
>   setenv bootcmd setenv bootargs \${bootargs_base} \${mtdparts}\; nand read.e 0x32000000 kernel 0x300000\; bootm 0x32000000
>   saveenv
> - you can now boot with
>   boot

GTA02v5 # boot

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x80000, size 0x200000

Reading data from 0x27f800 -- 100% complete.
  2097152 bytes read: OK
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 32000000 ...
    Image Name:   Linux-2.6.29-rc2-mokodev
    Created:      2009-02-06  12:48:30 UTC
    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
    Data Size:    2365168 Bytes =  2.3 MB
    Load Address: 30008000
    Entry Point:  30008000
    Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC
ERROR: can't get kernel image!

However if I use reboot, the FR starts up and I can connect to via USB again.  I then run my setup.sh from
/media/mmcblk0p1 which changes usb0 to and sets up eth0 as (via DHCP).  I have then rebooted but usb0 remains at and the USB link does not remain up long enough for me to
look at things (maybe because of conflict with my 192.169.0.* LAN?) -
can you do a rootfs that uses DHCP to set up eth0 so I don't need to
mess around with usb0?

> The change is persistent, so you'll be able to boot large kernels
> from now on. A small drawback of this change is that loading the
> kernel now takes a little bit longer.

I presume it also uses memory that would normally be available for
something else?

> See also
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-kernel/2008-October/006086.html
>> I have never installed Qi so it must be u-boot - should I install Qi?
> You don't need to install Qi for this.

OK but would it be a good idea for normal use?  Faster?

Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW	2001
E-mail:  phil at pricom.com.au