WLAN: known issues and how to help - uptime test - new record!

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Wed Feb 11 13:32:15 CET 2009

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> I then setup wireless networking and run my script for testing LAN
>> connection - it has now been running for nearly 26 hours! (and is still
>> going) - about 10 hours longer than the previous record!
> Cool !

It finally failed at about 30 hours.

>> The question is was this just a lucky test
> I'd say, once we see a 10x difference to your average update (that
> would be something like 10 hours ?), then I'll slowly start to
> believe it's not just Murphy being busy to bring mischief to
> someone else ;-)
> Is the rest of the system behaving normally ?

When I am running the test I am usually not using the FR for anything
else - maybe just some terminal stuff.

>> that is allowing the much improved uptime?
> Hmm, there are three charger changes to WLAN:
> - SIOCGIWSCAN no longer returns an error if it doesn't find an AP.
>   That may keep user space from unnecessarily entering panic mode.
> - the addition of rfkill. Don't see how this one could affect it,
>   though.
> - the "shot in the dark" for SDIO communication. If this does
>   anything, the kernel prints either
>   or
>   Do you see any of these in dmesg ?

Oddly, after it had failed, I restarted the network and it failed again
in about a minute.  I then started it again and copied the attached
files over FYI - no "BUSY" in dmesg output . .

Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW	2001
E-mail:  phil at pricom.com.au