Openmoko Bug #2073: voice-recording.state + arecord: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000

Openmoko Public Trac bugs at docs.openmoko.org
Wed Feb 18 05:29:50 CET 2009

#2073: voice-recording.state + arecord: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
dereference at virtual address 00000000
 Reporter:  lindi    |          Owner:  openmoko-devel
     Type:  defect   |         Status:  new
Component:  unknown  |        Version:
 Severity:  normal   |       Keywords:  ALSA
 Haspatch:  1        |      Blockedby:
Estimated:           |    Patchreview:
 Blocking:           |   Reproducible:  always
Changes (by arhuaco):

  * keywords:  => ALSA
  * priority:  normal => high

Comment:

 I feel like a hen raising ducks with this ALSA thing :-) I'll try to help
 anyway.

 How do you feel about the dummy states we have in
 sound/soc/codecs/wm8753.c?

  * Is it OK to have dummy states?
  * Why do we have them on the first place?

 We already know that Paul's patch avoids the crash but
 there are more dummy states and another ALSA state that
 works by using another mode. Thus I wonder if we have to:

 1. Allow dummy states as they are now and just have some code to prevent
 you from opening the device when a dummy state is selected so that we
 don't crash.

   or

 2. Do something similar to what Paul did the patch he coded for all the
 other states.

 I'm worried that if we do (2) we will end up with different states that
 do the same thing and create even more confusion.

 Please advise...

--
Ticket URL: <https://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2073#comment:15>
docs.openmoko.org <http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/>