WLAN: current status and new bits of weirdness

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Feb 20 06:09:29 CET 2009

Philip Rhoades wrote:
> even WITHOUT the backslash that I had previously before the "$" in line
> one, this line still seems to be a problem - at each boot, I STILL get the
> FR taking forever to start with hundreds of lines like:

Hmm, this is really odd. I have now repeated exactly what you did
(same kernel, same rootfs, NOR, commands copied from your mail) and
it works perfectly.

I'm running out of ideas for what may be wrong :-( Your system has
no bad NAND blocks, so even the partition layout is the same. The
kernel is protected by a CRC, so it should be impossible to damage
it. This leaves the rootfs, but if you reflashed that, it should be
good as well.

Another possibility could be a bad NOR content. Mine is

root at om-gta02:~# strings /dev/mtd0 | grep ^U-B
U-Boot 1.3.2-moko12 (May  9 2008 - 10:28:48)

root at om-gta02:~# md5sum /dev/mtd0
9128ab202738cf90e2aaea13ab050605  /dev/mtd0

> Do you want me to try anything else with this setup or should I just start
> testing the uptime on more recent images?

I'm beginning to suspect that we may never find out what freak
accident is causing those boot failures so it may be good to move
on, yes.

Meanwhile, I got an update from Atheros: they say that the new
assertion tells us that the RSN IE sent by the AP is too long.

Oh, and I went back in this thread and noticed that I had misread
the type of router you have as "WRT54G" while you wrote "WRT546G".
I haven't been able to find any technical data on that device, but
Google has a few hits. Is this similar to a WRT54G ? Or maybe a
typo ? :)

Thanks,
- Werner