Microcontroller via USB

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Fri Feb 20 13:44:42 CET 2009

Sven Klomp <sven at klomp.de> writes:
> I could simulate a USB-RS232 converter on the ATmega. In this case, I could
> use the usb-serial module of the kernel. Do the actual Openmoko kernels ship
> with it?

Depends on distro, but you can easily compile it yourself.

> However, I only want to send few control bits. Are there some easier methods?

Serial is probably the easiest way to do it. Are you trying to place
the microcontroller inside the phone case?

> Libusb has a nice and easy API, but I shrink from compiling it for the
> Freerunner.

I use libusb on freerunner and it works just fine.

> Is it possible to control USB from Python without any additional libraries or
> kernel modules?

I don't know if there are libusb wrappers for python. However, if your
device acts as a serial port you can just open /dev/ttyACM0 in python
and talk to it without having to know anything about USB.