LDAP client libraries available?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 15:24:56 CET 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009, Michael Pilgermann wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am contributing to a program for PIM syncronisation (PISI -
> http://projects.openmoko.org/projects/pisi/) - a small tools written in
> Python. As part of this; I want to develop a syncronisation option for OM
> (SQLite) with external ressources - first of all with LDAP servers. A
> python module is available for LDAP (Python-LDAP -
> http://python-ldap.sourceforge.net/); however, this one relies on installed
> LDAP libraries.
>
> So, my question here:
> Is there any way to download a pre-compiled package of these libraries or a
> straight forward way to built (and deploy) them myself? (As an application
> level programmer (Python) I am not too familar with these things).

On Gentoo python-ldap depends on openldap, so I assume the same is true
elsewhere. Openldap is available in openembedded, and probably also in debian
though I haven't checked. The openembedded one builds cleanly for shr-
unstable, but I've not tried using it.

You don't say which distro you're using, but you should be able to ask the
repository maintainer to add openldap to their build if they don't have it
already.