Developing Software using Cython

Christian Reitwießner christian at reitwiessner.de
Fri Jan 2 12:42:49 CET 2009

Hello again!

morphis suggested to me to use bitbake (thank you for that) but
unfortunately, I do not know how to use bitbake. But i managed to at
least compile the module using the toolchain. The key was to use
"environment-setup" and not "setup-env", or more specifically, add
"export
LIBTOOL_SYSROOT_PATH=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi"
to setup-env.

Other difficulties showed up because of different compilation settings
for python (pyconfig.h) and because some "-I /usr/include/python2.5"
somehow managed to get into my compilation command (it then uses the
include file settings of my desktop system). If someone searches for the
error, it was "undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_DecodeUTF8".

If someone is interested, my compilation commands are (after setting up
the toolchain environment):

$CC -march=armv4t -mtune=arm920t -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g
- -fwrapv -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
- -isystem/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/include
- -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers -Os
- -isystem/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/include -fPIC
-
-I/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include/python2.5/
- -c MYPROJECT.c -o MYPROJECT.o
$CC -pthread -shared -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
- -L/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/lib
- -Wl,-rpath-link,/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/lib
- -Wl,-O1
- -isystem/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/include
- -fexpensive-optimizations -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers -Os
- -isystem/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/include
./MYPROJECT.o -ldl -lutil -lm -lpython2.5 -o MYPROJECT.so

The .c file obtained after running cython should be quite
platform-independent...

Kind regards,
Christian