How do I make Xglamo read directly from the touchscreen?

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Thu Jan 8 20:38:42 CET 2009

| On Thursday 08 January 2009 16:58:32 Andy Green wrote:
|> Somebody in the thread at some point said:
|> | 	1.) Get the code upstream into the linux kernel
|>
|> We feel showing it can remove the need for tslib gives us a story that
|> gives a better chance upstream.
|
| I think one can imagine that this will work. But what about actually
sending
| the idea + patch set to the linux input device list? I think it makes
sense to
| check if the people maintaining the linux input framework would be
willing to
| have and maintain code that is doing that.

The implementation already exists.

|> | that goal, we walk into the other direction.
|>
|> We went in the direction of resolving a longstanding problem for users,
|> GTA02 touchscreen was unusable until this was done.
|>
|> There's no point to repeat the cycle of "shoulda done it in tslib"
|> because that's out of scope for me and nobody else took action.
|
| I don't know what is wrong... I highlighted a migration path. If you
don't
| want to do this, fine.  Just to repeat what I said:

Yes I read and understood it.  But it seems I need to repeat what I said
back on 29th Dec:

''The two things about

~ - cleaning up the touchscreen data in kernel, and

~ - whether to maintain tslib linkage in userspace for basically API
compatability reasons

are separate issues... the first is the right thing to do IMO and the
second is a useful option we're looking at because we think it might
help get the kernel filter stuff upstream, but not proposing to get
changed in OM userspace.''

| How to test the touchscreen:
| Kernel: cat device... spitting out things but no numbers
| tslib: ts_print and ts_print_raw with nice output
|
| How to calibrate the touchscreen:
| Kernel: Aeehh... find the Determinate yourself solve the equations
| tslib: ts_calibrate

This just polarizes the nonexistent question, nobody is saying not to
use tslib where it provides a service like creating calibration data and
I and most recently Nelson point out tslib works fine with a clean input
device.  It's just fun to keep repeating it?

| I just highlight what is missing in your story, if you want to push the
| migration you should offer the same features as tslib or convince
people why
| these are not needed... I'm willing to help you migrating but it
starts with

See above.

| 1st) convincing people maintaining the linux input device system that
this is
| a good idea (otherwise we will end up with GTA06 and have 100 "feature
| patches" because we do clever things that upstream does not
understand... and
| this will be a nightmare for everyone involved).

Wow nobody could have imagined.  Thank goodness that wasn't the
situation when I inherited the kernel.

- -Andy