FSO and Paroli

Guillaume Chereau charlie at openmoko.org
Wed Jan 14 04:43:32 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 18:03 -0800, c_c wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have quite a few suggestions and questions.

Hello cchandel (?), I will try to answer the questions as I can, Mirko
can probably answer more of it.
> Questions
> Can't we have a daily build?
Won't answer this question, but you can find some ipk snapshots here
[0], I build them myself with oe.

> I have cloned the repo - How do I build a package?
You can follow the instructions from here [1] or maybe use MokomakeFile
[2], once everything is set up, you can just type
  bitbake paroli
It should build the package paroli (work the same with any packages)

> Why is there no feedback after the Paroli-Launcher is run?
Because Paroli-Launcher is a daemon, is will just load all the needed
libraries and plugins, then start a D-Bus server and wait for client
requests to start Applications. There is no Home screen or anything, the
home screen is enlightenment illume launcher. See your next question.

> Sometimes I need to run the Paroli-Launcher again or the other apps crash
> without any message. Can't we have some feedback on crashes?
Agree, we need to find a way to do that. Originally paroli (at the time
tichy) had a home screen, so a crash would just let you go back to
illume, but since now we use illume as the home screen we need to
implement some way to notify the user when the daemon crashes.

> I want to contribute code / patches. How do I do that?
For the code, one way is to use "git format-patch" and then send your
patches to the mailing list. If possible try to follow those guidelines
when sending patches [3] (but don't worry too much about that)

> Cant find any documentation on milestones/features/ui. Is there any?
Mirko will probably take care of that.

As far as the core system is concerned, it is based on tichy, so a huge
part of the documentation available for tichy [4] will still apply.
Most of the code inherited from tichy also still contains structured
text docstrings that can be parsed by epydoc.

You can also take a look at this file concerning the graphic backend [5]

> Suggestions
> I think we need a base window - much like zhone. One that allows users to
> have a homescreen, configurable wallpaper and clock (like Android for eg
> /cairo-clock) and some icons to launch the dialer, contacts etc. The idea of
> looking at a lot of icons on the phone is not that enticing right now.
Well, at the beginning of the project we had this discussion, now the
plan is to use illume as the homescreen.
Of course we should customize it to integrate it with Paroli.

> Can't the dialer, I/O and contacts windows be together with tabs? The
> android design seems to be a nice way of clubbing together these things.
It is not planned. In fact we already have a quite detailed design
specification about the way the app should look and behave. Will can
probably tell more about that as he is the one who did that.

> Is there some way I can use Edje-editor to improve the UI? Right now it
> seems that there are too many edc files all around and they aren't really
> all that easy to use in the editor.
I don't know this. Mirko or Jeremy can probably answer this question.

> Hope that helps.
Yes it does, thanks for taking time to write this email, looking forward
for more feedback !

charlie/guillaume

[0] http://svn.openmoko.org/developers/charlie/Paroli/
[1] http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Getting_Started