WLAN: towards a solution for the roaming freeze

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 12:07:26 CET 2009

Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> writes:
> Well it can be avoided OK by not doing it, I am just wondering what it
> leads to if the firmware is broken for some things and we don't have a
> way to update it.

Does it mean that there's no and will not be any way to update
WLAN firmware in-field? OM managed to talk TI into allowing calypso's
update but it's not possible with
now-finally-dev-friendly-softmac-friendly Atheros? That's
dissapointing, to say the least (while refraining from explecitives).

What about GTA03's chip? The Marvell's press release talks about
"firmware upgradeable Bluetooth 2.0 EDR". But one shouldn't trust
press releases. Moreover, judging from that "document" it seems that
its firmware may be too capable (integrated supplicant, TCP/IP stack,
bluetooth profiles). That's worrying especially if the firmware is
closed-source. BTW, is monitor mode supported? Can hostap be used with
that?

Joerg on IRC told me that OM's learned a lot from calypso's story and
that they wouldn't use non-field upgradeable firmware in the
future. Is it the case? (OM has enough problems with (hard for some)
field-upgrades of hardware, but having such a situation with firmware
is somehow ...(swearing)).

OT: have you missed my proposed patch to Qi's README or is it just a
matter of bad wording? I think that README should describe enough of
UI to make ordinary user happy. For you reference:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openmoko.kernel/7584

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com