Python Error <No module named Tkinter>

Michael Sheldon mike at mikeasoft.com
Sat Jan 24 20:16:27 CET 2009

HackCandy wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Thank you for the reply.
> I installed the Module TkInter
> and tried running the Python script and getting
> the following error:
>
> root at om-gta02:~# opkg install python-tkinter
> Installing python-tkinter (2.5.2-ml0) to root...
> Downloading
> http://downloads.openmoko.org/repository/Om2008.8/armv4t/python-tkinter_2.5.2-ml0_armv4t.opk
> Configuring python-tkinter
> root at om-gta02:~# cd /home/root/bin/
> root at om-gta02:~/bin# gui.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "gui.py", line 34, in <module>
>     from Tkinter import *
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in <module>
>     import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk

<snip>

  It looks like the python-tkinter package should depend on tk, you
should probably file a bug about that with open embedded.

  So you'll need to install the tk package yourself for now (opkg
install tk).

  Also this sort of thing is probably better suited to the community
mailing list, rather than devel; you're likely to find a lot more people
able to help you that way in future.

  Cheers,
   Mike.