---

Juan Alberto Aranda Alvarez jaranda at openmoko.org
Wed Jan 28 23:29:27 CET 2009

Hello, in case I didn't introduced my self before, my name is Juan
Alberto Aranda-Alvarez. I've been working on bringing 3D accelerated
capabilities to the Openmoko software stack (gta0x). I've been around
for almost 2 months. I also go by Alinermedia, in case you've seen me on
the IRC.

I haven't been very active on the list because I've been trough a lot
previous e-mails, the OM wiki, and other sources. Why? because normally
when a newcomer comes around on a mailing list asking questions people
usually point them to the documentation. I know I do. So I didn't wanted
to get "RTFM" message.

I've mostly worked with the toolkit, compiling and installing
applications. Thanks to Andy compiling a Kernel was rather easy. I like
the toolchain, the building the sample application worked. I installed
it, and it ran. My own application worked, I even managed to build a
package for it and installed it.

My question is: Is there a way to cross compile the Xglamo/Xorg server
using the toolchain?.

On the other hand, from what I've gathered most of you use bitbake (for
whatever distribution). That's fine, it looks cool but takes forever to
do anything. Is very frustrating to wait around 3, 5, 6 hours and then
get some error and suddenly I realize that it didn't work.

My task right now is "simple", the xorg server running on the phone with
a hardware accelerated driver for the graphic processor/chipset running
on the phone. I don't need to build the whole distribution.

I'm willing to learn how to use bitbake, but the instructions on the
wiki don't seem to work, there's an issue with ffmpeg (I guess is not
there anymore?). Now, about the xglamo tree on git.openmoko.org. How dow
I go about to building  and installing it on the phone?, I don't mind
using another tool.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Could someone
please update the Toolchain, is rather old.

Graeme move some stuff to xorg from xglamo, and would like to continue
that way, even working with xorg upstream (email from Holger Freyther to
the xorg mailing list:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-October/039358.html). If
any of the guys who signed the NDA could contact me or Jorge would be
great. There's a lot of stuff to be done
(http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/devel/2009-January/004322.html).

Thomas White wrote a great email about it:
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/devel/2009-January/003968.html. I
agree totally with this email. Any help would be very welcomed.

Its been 2 months since Graeme's email on November 19th
(http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/devel/2008-November/003274.html).
Here I gather he's giving instructions on how to build the server using
bitbake (am I right on this?).

Also Lars-Peter Clausen from OpenWrt(?) has some code with acceleration,
and requested the spec, that's great news. As I mentioned, there's a lot
of ground to cover, and the more hands the better.

Juan Aranda