Play sound fast

Sten Kvamme sten at kvamme.se
Sun Jul 5 10:05:38 CEST 2009

Buttons with some action sound (eg klick, boink or broken glass) should
have minimal latency between touching the button and the sound.

I have tested mplayer, madplay and aplay and mplayer is the slowest,
aplay is the fastest with < 1sec latency. Are there faster players
around? I found that the timing corresponds to the player binary file
size, where mplayer is 2884588, madplay is 84028 and aplay is 54284.

So, what I am looking for is maybe a smaller player than aplay.