Play sound fast

Ben Wong at
Sun Jul 5 13:44:08 CEST 2009

Nicola and Abelenda have given you the correct solutions (direct
library calls or a sound daemon).  Here's an incorrect solution that
has the sole benefit of being dead simple.

   cat > /dev/audio

You'll want to convert the sound files to au format (Mu-law, 8kHz,
mono) using: sox foo.wav -r 8000 -c 1 -U

Although a brain dead kludge, writing directly to /dev/audio can
sometimes be useful.  Just don't tell anyone I told you about it.  ;-)