why openmoko is so slow? Is it a joke?

mobi phil mobi at mobiphil.com
Mon Jul 13 16:02:38 CEST 2009

Hello all

I spent this weekend some time to compare and to try to understand what is
slow, why is openmoko slow... At least concerning the display I came to the
concusion that X windows is/should not too much to blame.

I installed the latest SHR distro on a mSD card, and run it both on
Freerunner and ETEN glofiish M800, thanks to the gnufiish project. I have to
say that everything on eten m800 is much faster, rendering, screen refresh,
scrolling etc. However both devices have the same processor at the sam
speed, andsame SD card. I run both x11perf, and a little program to draw
rectangles on the framebuffer. The speed ratio between the openmoko and eten
m800 framebuffer is 7/10, this measured with my small tool. I run "x11perf
-all" on the ETEN M800 with the Xfbdev, you will find the results attached.
I tried to run x11pref -all on freerunner with Xfbdev but it crashes at the
beginning of the second test... I will try to run the same

here the comparison of the first test (Dot)
for gnufiish

  6000000 reps @   0.0009 msec (1120000.0/sec): Dot
  6000000 reps @   0.0009 msec (1130000.0/sec): Dot
  6000000 reps @   0.0009 msec (1120000.0/sec): Dot
  6000000 reps @   0.0009 msec (1120000.0/sec): Dot
  6000000 reps @   0.0009 msec (1130000.0/sec): Dot
  30000000 trep @   0.0009 msec (1120000.0/sec): Dot

for freerunner..

  2000000 reps @   0.0025 msec (394000.0/sec): Dot
  2000000 reps @   0.0025 msec (402000.0/sec): Dot
  2000000 reps @   0.0025 msec (393000.0/sec): Dot
  2000000 reps @   0.0028 msec (360000.0/sec): Dot
  2000000 reps @   0.0026 msec (391000.0/sec): Dot
  10000000 trep @   0.0026 msec (388000.0/sec): Dot

so, you can see the differences between the numbers... However I am a bit
confused, and need to read once more the manpage to know exactly how to
interpret the numbers, but at first glance, there is a huge difference...

As I said, I wil try to run the x11perf on the Xglamo to see if there are
any improvement... However I am not sure that the acceleration would solve
the problem... I think that the bottleneck is the data bus, or? the story
with the SDcard connected to the glamo chip...

So... my question is ... is it a joke that the openmoko framebuffer is so
slow compared to other similar phones??? In this case I would really advice
people to refrain in buying the openmoko, and better go for glofiish M800,
that has a keyboard and radio as plus, and kernel support is almost ready...
Again, on M800 SHR is really fluid... However loading applications is
slow... Maybe libraries are not cached well?

mobi phil

being mobile, but including technology