Beeing my own internet provider?

Soeren Heisrath soeren at heisrath.org
Mon Jun 22 13:02:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

Sure you can, but your GSM Provider can distinguish between data and voice calls.
If you choose to make a "Voice Call" with your Modem and send data through it,
your "data" will be transmitted and encoded with the gsm codec before it is
transfered to your mobile phone. I don't expect much throughput (if any) from that,
since voice codecs simply aren't suited for encapsulating data streams.
If you make a "Data Call" your provider can identify that connection as such and
will probably bill it that way. (Ask your Provider for (HS)CSD rates, if they
don't know what you're talking about, ask for "Fax Rates")

There may be a third option, but I haven't tried that yet. The Etsi GSM 07.07 spec [0]
describes an option called "Voice followed by data" (p. 22). You could try that
mode - maybe your GSM provider will bill those calls as regular voice calls if.

Best Regards
- Soeren

0: http://www.ctiforum.com/standard/standard/etsi/0707.pdf