Openmoko Bug #2256: [kernel] problem with swap file on fat partition

Openmoko Public Trac bugs at
Sun Mar 8 20:19:14 CET 2009

#2256: [kernel] problem with swap file on fat partition
 Reporter:  Richard.Kralovic  |          Owner:  openmoko-devel
     Type:  defect            |         Status:  new
Component:  unknown           |        Version:
 Severity:  normal            |       Keywords:
 Haspatch:  0                 |      Blockedby:
Estimated:                    |    Patchreview:
 Blocking:                    |   Reproducible:
 I tried to setup a swap file on a fat partition on sd card (using kernel
 openmoko-2.6.28-2.6.28-oe1+git~c06ae36180dee695aa25bbae869b2aa26-r3), but
 the swapon command hangs; /proc/<pid>/wchan says that it hangs in

 In fs/fat/inode.c:205, there is some mutex_lock protecting call to
 generic_block_bmap. After commenting it out, everything works nicely. But
 I assume this is not the correct fix...