dial/hangup/sms commandline (was: vt with fullscreen keyboard)

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Mar 27 19:25:28 CET 2009

Paul Sladen wrote:
> I was discussing something similar to do for a semi-serious 1 April 2009
> release (eg. "Debian phone edition(tm)"), but I don't think it's going to
> get done.  For those actively interested, the idea was:

There's still plenty of time, including a whole weekend ;-)

> 'sms' is just a link to '/usr/bin/mail'.

You can even make it less stateful than Berkeley mail or similar:
there's a MUA that breaks down most actions into individual commands
invoked from the shell. It's called MH:
http://oreilly.com/openbook/mh/tocs/jump.htm

> This, combined with a full-size overlaid semi-transparent landscape keyboard
> solves the average geek use-case far better than anything else presented.

This may very well be the case :) And we all know very well how to
customize a shell environment ad nauseam.

- Werner