FreeDesktop ModemManager

Robert Piasek robert.piasek at member.fsf.org
Sun Mar 29 15:14:21 CEST 2009

On Saturday 28 March 2009 23:08:18 Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> On Saturday 28 March 2009 23:58:26 Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> > just wanted to give information that a ModemManager project has been
> > started at FreeDesktop.org to provide a DBus API to GSM/3G adaptors.
> >
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/
> >
> > I just wanted to share my findings, for everyone to know about it.
>
> That's kind of sad. Similar, but different to ours.

ModemManager was started at August 2008 as a common API to handle all GSM/CDMA
for NetworkManager:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2008-August/msg00004.htm

It was integrated to NM trunk here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?id=e4398a88c8e09a6576625e6084c1a8d263949b76
Some distributions already ported this functionality to NM-0.7.

The project has slightly different goals than FSO.

Rob